Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. It is primarily residential in nature within close proximity to interstate and railway transportation into the heart of the Greater Metropolitan Washington DC area.
Manassas Park has a population of 14,236 within the city’s 2.6 square mile area. The city is served by Manassas Park City Schools, an accredited school system with modern facilities.
The city offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
Manassas Park was a campsite area for Confederate soldiers who fought in the First and Second Battles of Bullrun (Manassas).
The road to Manassas Park becoming an independent city started in 1955 when the first homes were built as a subdivision in Prince William County. In 1956 a group of citizens founded a civic association. In 1957 the courts were petitioned and Manassas Park achieved Town status in the county. “The Park,” as the city was called, was governed by a mayor and a town council.
Following the annexation of approximately 600 acres of land in 1974, Manassas Park incorporated as an independent city in 1975.
The newly incorporated city doubled in size. It was the last town in the Commonwealth of Virginia to become a city. Schools were built. police, fire and rescue, and the public works departments were upgraded and a social services department was created.
This provided the city with vacant, undeveloped property for residential and various commercial and light industrial uses.